We have so many things to to! So many appointments to be at, transportation to arrange, deadlines to meet, chores to complete, and the list just goes on and on and on. But, then what? What about YOU? Here are my three simple steps to be sure you have time for YOU!
I have said this many times in my posts but if you’re new to my page you may not have heard me say it.
You have to take care of YOU FIRST.
I understand that if you’re new to that concept it can seem selfish or crazy at best. Believe me, I thought it was completely selfish. But then I started implementing some tiny changes that made huge impacts in my life. Now, I’m a firm believer that you have to take care of YOU and you have to do that FIRST!
Here’s an analogy I’ve used quite a few times…
You’re on an airplane and the flight attendant is going through the safety checks and they tell you when the oxygen mask falls from the cabinet during an emergency you’re supposed to put it on yourself before helping someone else, right?
They do this because if you don’t have oxygen then you’re not going to be able to help anyone else during the emergency.
This is the same concept for you in life.
If you don’t take care of yourself then you won’t have you best self to give to others!
So, if you’re not already making time for yourself first, then where do you start?
Here are my three simple steps to get you on your way…
Step Back and Evaluate
- Take a step back from your life and think about what really brings you joy, what do you get most excited about? Seriously … take a bit of time to figure this out by journaling about it. Here’s a great journal to get you started.
- Now that you know what brings you joy think about what you’re currently spending your time on? Are you spending more hours on things that don’t bring you joy? Really be honest with yourself here. Add this thought process as an entry in your journal.
- After you’ve spent that time soul searching in your journal then you can move on to step two.
- Remember that list of those things that you love doing, those things that bring you joy? This step is going to help you make more time in your life to do those things! Why is that important? Because if you’re doing more of what you love then you’re able to come at the days ahead with a passion filled heart that can tackle the world.
- Decide what you can delegate:
- At Home: If you’ve been more responsible for the household chores then turn some over to your spouse. Or start adding more responsibilities to your children by increasing their chore list. They may not be able to do the chore as well as you can but by handing it off you’ve saved yourself that amount of time on a daily or weekly basis!
- At Work: If you’re in a management position, start adding more responsibilities to your staff. If you’re not in management, speak to your supervisor about delegating mundane tasks that are slowing down your productivity for the organization.
- Outsourcing: Think about the things you could hire someone to do for you. Here are just a few examples: yard work, house cleaning, tutoring your children, grocery shopping, meal planning and prep, etc. Before you go off and say you can’t afford it, take a good, hard look at your spending and I bet, like so many others who have worked with me, you’ll discover that you most certainly can afford it. And why would outsourcing be important? Again, it frees up YOUR time. Now, to make sure you’re getting your money’s worth when you outsource, it’s very important you use the time they’re doing the work for you to do the things that bring you joy (and let me say here that this does NOT mean sitting on the couch catching up on Netflix!).
- Now that you have more time on your hands with all these changes, let’s take a good look at your schedule in step three.
Re-Look at Your Schedule
- First, establish and schedule “Non-Negotiables” on your calendar. These are things that you do NOT give up NO MATTER WHAT! Examples of these might include: 1 night of fun a week, 3 hours of exercise spread at intervals during the week, 8 hours of sleep every night, 1 massage a week, etc. Yes, it really means BLOCK THIS TIME OFF on your calendar. Non-Negotiable! This comes FIRST!
- Second, schedule your “Must-Completes” from your to-do list. These might include your work day, children’s events, meals, etc.
- Third, schedule your “Chores” from your to-do list. These might include laundry (if you haven’t outsourced), house cleaning (if you haven’t outsourced), etc.
There you have it!
Three simple steps to start scheduling time for you!
Now, the only thing holding you back is you. So just get out there and start trying. Even if you’re only able to free up a half-hour the first week just imagine what amazing things could come from that half-hour! Then, keep it in your mind to keep making changes and keeping adding more time each week until you find your special balance!
Holistic Health Coaching
If you want some specific tips and tools to manage stress and overwhelm then my private coaching programs are perfect for you. Check them out here.
I am excited to help you on your journey!
Have an Abundantly Healthy day!
Dr. Cori Campbell
Your Holistic Health Coach