October is National Physical Therapy Month! I want to honor all of the amazing Physical Therapists out there. Virtual high fives and fist bumps to each of you! You rock it! You rock the world of movement! For the non-therapists, do you know what Physical Therapists do for society and do you know why you should be seeing one BEFORE you end up injured? SURPRISE!!! Physical Therapy (aka PT) is not just for recovery, sure, we’re all good at helping you recover, but what if you could PREVENT a necessary recovery phase? Say whaaaat??
Yes! It’s TRUE! So totally and completely true!
Now, here’s the kicker, your insurance may not cover PREVENTATIVE Physical Therapy.
And, you know what I hear a lot from people … “I don’t have the money.”
You might be thinking the same thing.
Let me try to see if you could just try to see it from a different perspective….
If you paid privately for Physical Therapy, it might cost you somewhere around $80-200 per hour, depending on the experience of the therapist, where you’re located, access to equipment, etc.
Now, if you end up with a neurologically ingrained poor movement pattern somewhere in your body due to either poor posture, an injury, poor body mechanics when doing your house work or yard work, or poor alignment during your workout then you end up with a potential list of other things you have to deal with. These could include, but obviously not limited to …
- An obnoxious amount of pain.
- Doctor’s visits.
- Time spent waiting for the doctor in the big waiting room.
- Time spent waiting for the doctor in the small waiting room.
- Money spent on co-payments or other charges based on your insurance plan.
- Tests such as x-rays, MRI, etc.
- Time spent getting all these tests.
- Money spent on these tests for what your insurance plan doesn’t cover.
- Your doctor will probably prescribe you medication which will cost you time at the pharmacy and money spent.
- Time spent away from work if you have a job which means you’re either burning your paid time off or you’re taking time unpaid.
- Your doctor may send you to Physical Therapy so you’ll have to take more time away from work to attend your sessions, pay additional co-payments, spend more time waiting.
What is all of that worth to you?
Wait!!! Don’t answer that! Just answer these 2 questions…
Number ONE … what is your TIME worth to you?
Number TWO … what is your LIFESTYLE worth to you?
Let that put it in perspective for you, even if just a little. A good Physical Therapist will improve your life.
Here are my TOP 5 Reasons Physical Therapy is for everyone!
- Reduce or eliminate pain. Therapeutic exercises and manual therapy techniques such as joint and soft tissue mobilization can significantly help to reduce pain.
- Improve mobility. If you’re having trouble standing, walking or moving … no matter your age … physical therapy can help. Stretching and strengthening exercises help restore your ability to move.
- Improve your balance and prevent falls. A lot can be going on when you have decreased balance and an increased fall risk. Leave these assessments to the professionals in this area. Seriously, it’s why we do what we do!
- Manage diabetes and vascular conditions and manage heart and lung disease. You have a lot of body systems that need to function properly. Physical therapists know how to adapt your treatments to help you improve in all of these areas.
- Avoid surgery. If physical therapy helps you eliminate pain or heal from an injury, surgery may not be needed. And even if surgery is required, you may benefit from pre-surgery physical therapy.
Obviously, there are hundreds of reasons why you should seek out the professional help of a physical therapist, but those are just my top 5 to get you started.
Stop using “Dr. Google” … and have a professional help you … your health will thank you!
Until next time …