mmmmmm…. Meat loaf! Such a wonderful comfort food and easy to make! This recipe has the meatloaf topped with mashed sweet potatoes that helps keep the meat loaf from drying out!
So… why use sweet potatoes?
Sweet potatoes have a TON of great nutrients, especially vitamin A, calcium, potassium, and vitamin C! Sweet potatoes have more natural sugars than regular potatoes but they are packed with more nutrients and have fewer calories. Sweet potatoes are considered low on the glycemic index and research shows that they may reduce episodes of low blood sugar and insulin resistance in people with diabetes.
Why use essential oils?
Essential oils are compounds from plants and they are 50-70 times more potent than dried herbs. I only recommend using certified pure therapeutic grade essential oils at all times. Be sure to check to see if the essential oil bottle has a supplement label panel which is indicative that it is safe for internal use.
Marjoram Essential Oil and Benefits:
Also known as “wintersweet” or “joy of the mountains,” Marjoram was known to the Greeks and Romans as a symbol of happiness. Marjoram has been used in culinary dishes, imparting a unique flavor to soups, stews, dressings, and sauces: in Germany, this herb is known as the “Goose Herb” for its traditional use in roasting geese. In modern applications, Marjoram is valued for its calming properties and its positive effect on the nervous system.* It also supports both healthy cardiovascular and immune systems.
Oregano Essential Oil and Benefits:
Oregano is one of the most potent and powerful essential oils and has been used for centuries in traditional health practices for its cleansing and immune-boosting properties. The primary chemical components of Oregano are carvacol and thymol, both in the phenols group, which possess cleansing and antioxidant properties. Due to its high phenol content, caution should be taken when inhaling or diffusing Oregano; only one to two drops is needed. Additionally, Oregano should be diluted with dōTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil when applied to the skin. One drop taken daily can help maintain healthy immune function; Oregano can be taken more frequently when seasonal threats are high or as needed to further boost immunity. In addition to being a popular cooking spice, Oregano supports healthy digestion by promoting the secretion of digestive juices. Oregano also acts as an enhancer and equalizer in essential oil blends and can help support healthy respiratory function when taken internally.
Here is my recipe for Paleo Meat Loaf with Essential Oils… I hope you make it and enjoy it! It’s great for comfort meal days, potlucks, meal prepping for the week… so many possibilities. I recommend serving it with a side of roasted brussel sprouts!
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 drops of dōTERRACertified Pure Marjoram Essential Oil
- 1 drop of dōTERRA Certified Pure Oregano Essential Oil
- 1 1/2-2 pounds of lean ground beef
- 2-3 cups of mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a slotted broiler pan with extra virgin coconut oil.
- In skillet, heat butter or olive oil.
- Add onion and garlic, cook until tender – about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool – about 10 minutes.
- Beat almond flour, ground almonds, egg, salt pepper, Marjoram Essential Oil, and Oregano Essential Oil into onion and garlic mixture.
- Stir in ground beef and mix thoroughly.
- Form mixture into a loaf on the slotted broiler pan.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 165F. Remove from oven.
- Combine mashed sweet potatoes and egg and spread over meat loaf.
- Heat oven to broil. Broil meat loaf for 5-8 minutes or until sweet potatoes are browned and starting to crisp.
Serve warm … and enjoy!
Please leave me a comment below and tell me what you liked about this recipe….